Enlarged pores, also known as dilated pores, are larger skin openings often found on the face’s T-zone (forehead, nose, and chin) due to factors like excess oil, dirt, and skin cell buildup. They can be a cosmetic concern, influenced by genetics, age, sun damage, and inflammation. While natural, addressing them involves skincare, exfoliation, and treatments to manage oil and maintain skin health.
Treatment tips that can help you treat Enlarged Pores
- Cleanse your face twice a day with a cleanser to remove excess oil, dirt, and debris that can contribute to clogged pores.
- Use exfoliating products containing alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs) or beta hydroxy acids (BHAs) to help remove dead skin cells and discourage pore blockage.
- Try using over-the-counter or prescription retinoid products, which can help improve skin cell turnover and minimise the appearance of pores.
- Use clay masks once or twice a week to reduce excess oil and minimise pore appearance.
- Select skincare and makeup products labelled as “non-comedogenic” to discourage further clogging of pores.
- Protect your skin from sun damage with an oil-free broad-spectrum sunscreen that won’t clog your pores.
- Go for professional microneedling treatments to promote collagen production and improve skin texture, which can help minimise the appearance of pores.
- Try professional chemical peel treatments that can exfoliate and renew the skin, improving the appearance of pores.
- Explore professional treatments such as laser therapy or microdermabrasion.
Skincare ingredients found in Enlarged Pores treatment products
- Calendula Extract
- Salicylic Acid
- Tea Tree Oil
- Ginkgo Biloba Leaf Extract
- Azelaic Acid
- Mandelic Acid
Skincare products to treat Enlarged Pores
Thorough cleansing assists in preventing pore blockages and diminishing their visibility. Dr Webster recommends:
Toners effectively help eliminate excess oil, dirt, and impurities, which can lead to congested pores and an enlarged appearance. Thorough cleansing assists in preventing pore blockages and diminishing their visibility. Dr Webster recommends:
- Kiehl’s Calendula Herbal Extract Alcohol-Free Toner
- Beaut™ Power Potion
- Obagi CLENZIderm Pore Therapy
Exfoliation is beneficial for addressing enlarged pores as it helps remove dead skin cells and debris that can build up within the pores, causing them to appear larger. Dr Webster recommends:
By directly targeting pore-clogging impurities and excess oil, these targeted treatments can help minimise the appearance of enlarged pores and improve overall skin texture. Dr Webster recommends:
Moisturisers are important for addressing enlarged pores because they help maintain skin hydration and balance, which can indirectly contribute to reducing the appearance of pores. Dr Webster recommends:
- NeoStrata® Gel Plus 15 AHA
- pHformula SPOT ON Moisture Balance
- Obagi CLENZIderm Therapeutic Moisturiser
By applying a broad-spectrum oil-free SPF regularly, you can protect your skin from the harmful effects of UV radiation, which in turn helps maintain overall skin health and prevent further damage to the pore structure. Dr Webster recommends: